Delphi Pages Forums  

Go Back   Delphi Pages Forums > Delphi Forum > General

Lost Password?

Old 01-12-2001, 04:02 PM

Default Your favorite BDE alternative?

I realize that www.kylecords.com contains the BDE alternative reviews, but I want to hear from developers.

What is your favorite BDE alternative?

I will share with you what I have found and liked so far.

I have used Diamond Access connecting to Microsoft Access 97 tables. They are small, together, and it is fast with SQL. The disadvantage is that you have to have the license and files to distribute the DAO 3.5. The smallest package I have put together in distributing the DAO is 1.7 MB.

I tested DBISAM 2.06 and this is what I found. The data files were larger, but a lot easier to distribute, no DAO or anything else to worry about. However, in searching, it was very slow using SQL. For example: I searched through 10,000 records in Access and found the correct results in 1 second. I searched through DBISAM tables and it took 30 seconds or more. Same fields, same data, and same amount of records in both formats. Therefore I would rather use Diamond Access.

I tested Flash Filer and Flash Filer 2. I use SQL tremendously, and therefore the first one didn't do. The second version hasn't done very well either. It crashes my system constantly, can't figure out how to make a single EXE, and the SQL doesn't support Insert, Update, or Delete. It is read-only. When I tried to insert 10,000 records in through a table, it keeps timing out. I would just have to say that this version does take some learning to get used to what it offers.

Well, that is my two bits, and I would hope that other developers would comment and suggest their favorite BDE alternative and the reasons why.

Douglas
Old 01-12-2001, 05:55 PM

Default RE: Your favorite BDE alternative?

Well, I have tried a bunch as well and so far, I have liked kaDAO but it has been buggy... a work in progress. But using SQL Server 7, ADO is much better and you can download all the needed files for free from Microsoft. So...

I purchased DiamondADO and I am not too pleased. He has a problem with DATE/TIME fields giving a math error in a grid and it does not work with ReportBuilder due to this problem. I can't figure out this error... it is bizzarre.

So I tried a freeware one, Aloha ADO. It is freeware and everything works fine with MS MDAC. I had to rewrite some code and use actual field names not names aliased in an SQL query for a grid, for instance, i.e. Select ofname as Person, ddate as DATE etc. Diamond ADO and Borlands ADO Express allow the alias field name Person. Aloha only allows the actual field name when using filters. Not abig deal. Again, this is freeware and seems pretty stable.

That's my 2 cents!

John J
Old 01-13-2001, 08:44 AM

Default RE: Your favorite BDE alternative?

I joined the company I am currently working for three years ago. MsAccess databases were managed with the BDE. Since we ship our application to thousands of locations, the key was (and is still is) stability. The program must run flawlessly and must also install flawlessly. The BDE was failing both (especially the latter) requirements.

Since we had discovered that BDE + ODBC was more stable than BDE + native MsAccess drivers, we went for ODBC. For a while, we tried ODBC98, which was new at the time. It was immature and had several bugs.

Whe then set our choice to ODBC Express. We had a few problems that were easily solved (closing and reopening the whole database from time to time gave more stability to our application). But ODBC has its limits. What really annoyed us was the fact that ODBC cannot support both real and currency types and ODBC Express people decided to go with real.

Then came Delphi 5. Since we have the Enterprise version, we tried ADO Express and we are quite pleased with it. Every stability problems we encountered so far were related to new versions of MDAC (these would affect ODBC as well). They were solved by either applying a patch to ADO Express, or by changing some of the components parameters.