Delphi Pages Forums  

Go Back   Delphi Pages Forums > Delphi Forum > DB-Aware

Lost Password?

Old 01-06-2002, 07:54 AM

Default DBE Question ?

Dear Programmers,

I have developed a program useing TQuery and a access mdb file and the problem is that my app do not work unless i installed access and DBE, even that i declared my DB in ODBC not DBE, but i still need to install the DBE to connect to ODBC,

any idea, that will make me distibute my app without installing access and DBE on my clients machine ( no problem with using ODBC )?

Regards,

softnh
Old 01-06-2002, 08:00 AM

Default RE: DBE Question ?

I think the DBE need is due to the components you're using to deal with MSAccess (TQuery, TTable, TDataBase, etc...) which are those who use BDE. Try other kinds of components (e.g: ADOExpress if you have them). I'm really not sure at all but maybe this will be sufficient.

LörAn.
MAIL: loran@superheros.as
Old 01-06-2002, 08:09 AM

Dear Sir,

Can you please give me an example?

I have D6 and there is ADO tab with some component as connection, query etc...

But i don't know how to use them,

Regards,

softnh
Old 01-06-2002, 08:19 AM

Their use is really similar to the standard BDE components. You'll just need to replace the TDataBase with a TADOConnection, (TQuery with TADOQuery, TTable with TADOTable, etc...).
I've never used them with MSAccess so I donno which provider to chose in the list (and I don't remember the complete list of available ones). But I think you should easily find the good one.

LörAn.
MAIL: loran@superheros.as
Old 01-06-2002, 09:15 AM

If you are working with MS Access then your first choice should be VB for Application and second plain VB and then only Our beloved Delphi (though i dont like it myself).

But if you still want to use delphi then also remember that you will have to install ms access on user too even if your are using ADO or any other type of connection ofcourse excluding Midas/CORBA OR XML .But for them you will be moving into 3-tier or n-tier making the scenerio more complex.

So in nutshell either try changing your database to paradox/dbase/foxpro etc if your database is not too complex and does not require lots of relationships. Otherwise if you have to use ms access then use any of the table component , your job and application performance will remain almost same.

hope it helps and if it does then do click on accept button above