Delphi Pages Forums  

Go Back   Delphi Pages Forums > Delphi Forum > General

Lost Password?

Old 07-25-2013, 05:01 PM

Red face New to Delphi... Should I continue with it or scrap for C#?

Hello all,

I'm a Delphi n00b as my username says I've started to try to learn Delphi to make some windows desktop apps. I'm doing it kind of as a hobby/make tools I can use for myself.

I work in the SEO industry so I use a tool called Scrapebox(written in Delphi) to do a lot of analysis. I love the interface of it, its speed, and ease of use so I found out it was written in Delphi so I decided to pursue learning it on my own.

I currently use PHP/MySQL for most of my programming/web scripting. I have I'd say an intermediate overall programming background as I've dabbled in JAVA and OOP to write a few Android apps and I've tried to learn .NET C# but gave up on that as I got bored with it.

So far I have a student version of RAD Studio XE3, took this course on udemy: https://www.udemy.com/learn-to-program-with-pascal/ and jsut got and started the books "Delphi in a Nutshell" and Cantu's "mastering Borland Delphi 2005"

I'm really focused on learning Delphi now but I have a few worries...

A. It seems like the language is dying and there is little to no support/dev communites besides this an a few other for it. If I ever have a problem with PHP or Eclipse stuff I can usually find the answer on Stack Overflow... it doesn't seem that way with Delphi.

B. Will Delphi evolve in the future with new technologies and be as powerful/capable as .NET...

C. How long will it take me to get up to speed with Delphi to be at a level where I can build simple/intermediate apps. Having a job and a side biz... time is precious.

For some reason my gut tells me that it might not be the right time/too late to join the Delphi landscape.

IF you guys had to start again would you jump on it in it's current state compared to other languages, technologies, IDE's out there?

Thanks for the help in advance. I see this forum is a great resource for Delphi devs.

-DelphiN00b
Old 07-26-2013, 08:00 AM

I've developed Delphi for 10 years, only do some small stuff in it nowadays. In our business we see more and more movement towards the big internet. You'll also see this in the Delphi community, it's shrinking (but there are still people willing to help).

In general, Delphi is good for desktop apps, but going into internet apps I would concider other languages. Nowadays I do a lot of C#/MVC. I've encountered that even Visual Studio is still in a premature stadium, but with some tweaking it works, and .NET has a big community behind it.

Delphi will always be behind on the microsoft development tools. It's as simple as that.
So it will never be as powerfull as the latest .NET. They see the features of .NET/Visual Studio and implement their own version of it. Also Delphi has changed ownership in the last several years at least 1 time. This resulted in some bad choices in direction, as they could never grasp the web development although they've tried. Also the cross-platform development was a failure.

Nevertheless, I still would use it for winforms applications.

And the time it takes you to write an application, Hello World is 1 minute work, writing an application like Microsoft Excell will take you forever. The time it will take you to get up to speed also depends purely on yourself. I've seen developers (had background in other languages) doing it in a week, others will never see the light...
Old 07-30-2013, 02:04 AM

Hi

I will try to do this in short.

For me Delphi is one of the most powerful software development tools that exist today, however it's not the most popular, why? because of the Microsoft advertising power behind each development tool they posses which in my opinion will never be better than Delphi, but of course they got the Microsoft Logo as a stamp.

You most probably don't know that C# was invented by the same guy who invented Delphi. I call C# Delphi on Steroids, because of its similarity in syntax. I had developed in the past with VB, C++,C# and other languages, for me Pascal is one of the easiest languages out there, is it the most popular? No it's NOT, people think that is a dead language when it's not, is it the fastest? I think it is, period.

I would develop a database application (This is what I do) in 5 days in Delphi, and it will take me to develop the same application to develop 10 or more days in VB, or in C# as an example. The VCL library in Delphi, is just a matter of a click and drag into your forms, and because of that, half of the battle is already won.

So, if you work for a company for example AT&T or a big company who uses Microsoft products as for Development is concern, I suggest you to go with the big boys or I should say the most popular, however if you own your company and you develop your own software, Delphi is a beautiful thing, and with the cross platform between Windows and Mac and soon to be Android mobile, your steps will be to success, another however here, the future of Delphi is uncertain.

Help to the Delphi, HERE this website is the place to come, we have super experts that will take you out of the hole in no time and most important, very patience, it won't matter if you are an expert or a beginer. We have experts such as Jasser and Norrit among others that are on the ball 24/7 if not more.

The learning curve for Delphi is not that hard, and once you get the hang of it, you can compile a project with your eyes close.

If you want to develop for the Internet, C# will be the one.

One thing that I can assure you is that the Pizza was invented by the Italians or by the Greeks history don't know that yet, however, is true that the country that eats more Pizza in the world is the United States of America, however, the best Pizza in the world is not the one made in my country which is the United States of America, it is the one made in Italy.

Not because a product is popular means that the product is the best.

Hope that this helps a little on your decision.

Best regards,

Delphimpd
Old 07-31-2013, 10:38 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the well thought out response!

Gonna stick with Delphi for awhile I think. It's just so pleasing to work with!.

Hopefully, I'll be around and can contribute to this great forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphimpd View Post
Hi

I will try to do this in short.

For me Delphi is one of the most powerful software development tools that exist today, however it's not the most popular, why? because of the Microsoft advertising power behind each development tool they posses which in my opinion will never be better than Delphi, but of course they got the Microsoft Logo as a stamp.

You most probably don't know that C# was invented by the same guy who invented Delphi. I call C# Delphi on Steroids, because of its similarity in syntax. I had developed in the past with VB, C++,C# and other languages, for me Pascal is one of the easiest languages out there, is it the most popular? No it's NOT, people think that is a dead language when it's not, is it the fastest? I think it is, period.

I would develop a database application (This is what I do) in 5 days in Delphi, and it will take me to develop the same application to develop 10 or more days in VB, or in C# as an example. The VCL library in Delphi, is just a matter of a click and drag into your forms, and because of that, half of the battle is already won.

So, if you work for a company for example AT&T or a big company who uses Microsoft products as for Development is concern, I suggest you to go with the big boys or I should say the most popular, however if you own your company and you develop your own software, Delphi is a beautiful thing, and with the cross platform between Windows and Mac and soon to be Android mobile, your steps will be to success, another however here, the future of Delphi is uncertain.

Help to the Delphi, HERE this website is the place to come, we have super experts that will take you out of the hole in no time and most important, very patience, it won't matter if you are an expert or a beginer. We have experts such as Jasser and Norrit among others that are on the ball 24/7 if not more.

The learning curve for Delphi is not that hard, and once you get the hang of it, you can compile a project with your eyes close.

If you want to develop for the Internet, C# will be the one.

One thing that I can assure you is that the Pizza was invented by the Italians or by the Greeks history don't know that yet, however, is true that the country that eats more Pizza in the world is the United States of America, however, the best Pizza in the world is not the one made in my country which is the United States of America, it is the one made in Italy.

Not because a product is popular means that the product is the best.

Hope that this helps a little on your decision.

Best regards,

Delphimpd

Tags
noob