Delphi Pages Forums  

Go Back   Delphi Pages Forums > Delphi Forum > General

Lost Password?

Old 12-10-2010, 07:09 AM

Default save configuration in application's exe file

Hi.
I want to save the configuration of my program into its exe file (directly or in resources).
I know I can use registry or a separate configuration file but I prefer to save in exe.

I found some topics regarding this on forum but none of them solved my issue 100%.

Could you please help me..?
Thank you in advance.

Best regards, Cosmin
Old 12-10-2010, 09:21 AM

Use the registry or a database file for configuration storage... Your app will never run on my system, because my virus scanner will not like what you're trying to achive...

So my biggest question to you, why you prefer storing configuration in the .exe itself???
Old 12-10-2010, 11:04 AM

Because I'm trying to make my application as lite/portable as possible.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:11 AM

Again, your app will never run on my system.

PRO: You'll have a lite/portable app.
CON: Users need to believe that your app is only storing configuration data and exclude your app from the virus scanner (which contradicts with your PRO, so there is no PRO anymore, just a CON)...

So you see, the CON is much bigger (beyond compare) then the PRO... Go for a separate configuration file/registry...
Old 12-10-2010, 11:51 AM

You're right but not 100%.
The fact that my program will modify itself it will seem a little suspicious, I agree, but just a little.
"Users need to believe" that means you personally need to believe, not all the others.
If you don't believe that's your right not to use my program but don't judge for others.
In my 25 years in front of a computer I saw many such exe files and I didn't see others so worried about them.
Anyway every program can be verified by others on internet in many ways.
I saw legitimate programs that were using configuration files and/or registry but which they were trojans.

If you don't wanna help me, that's your right also, but this is a forum where people help each other, not judge.
On other forums I saw this question and people trying to help.

I understood that, in your own way, you are trying to help the users also.

I will think at your opinion and decide. Until then I still wanna know how to do this (from anybody else, of course).
Old 12-10-2010, 12:00 PM

It's not that I'm not willing to help you, it's just that in the past had the same request (store data in the app) from my boss... I Build it, but in live situations it produced more cons then pros and therefor this feature was replaced by a simple configuration file...

My reply was just to make you think about what you're asking and oversee the consequences...
I don't have the code anymore, but in the weekend I'll look if I can recreate part of it to give you a sample on howto do...
Old 12-10-2010, 12:14 PM

Ok, I understand, thank you.