Delphi Pages Forums  

Go Back   Delphi Pages Forums > Delphi Forum > Apps

Lost Password?

Old 02-22-2010, 05:24 PM

Question Inside the .exe

Hey, i need to store information with the .exe, and I've done some research on resources, but I can't find anything on that, I need like a text doc I can edit, read from and write to, but unlike the other resources, they extract themselves to the parent directory. This is another flaw, I need this text doc to be completely unseen, but still within the .exe, this is only to protect against coping and time cracking.

Can anyone assist me please?

Thanks in advance..
Old 02-23-2010, 08:44 AM

Don't even go there, anti virus applications will not like this... Even OS limits here, since you might not have rights to write in the same directory as the application...
Old 02-23-2010, 11:31 AM

I agree, Antivirus programs will eat this alive. Maybe in the old days this would have worked. Oops showing my age

How about storing it in an encrypted database?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:36 PM

You see, this is exactly the problem, this is a method I thought up to help protect my app, you see before marketing this product, I'll by handing it to some "friends" whom will try to bust through my security protocols, and the best and 1st one, will obviously be the trial limit...(Note, this will be attempted without cracking/Special software)

I thought up the idea to block the old copying method by placing the trial data inside the .exe as a resource. But as this will be a problem with anti-virus apps, what can I do to protect it..?

I had an idea, create a special activation app, which will churn out a machine hardware code, (encrypted of course) and then the user will have to email this code for it to be activated.., but my app doesn't use internet, as I haven't done anything like that before.., and besides, I don't have a website yet..

So this is still on of the biggest problems.., protecting the app, and the registration of the app in a secure way..

Any advice?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:18 PM

Virtually everything can be cracked, so at the end of the day all you are doing is making it more difficult.

Have you thought about using professional components to help you?

Apart fromthat you could use the serial number of the hard drive as a unique id?
Old 02-24-2010, 01:45 PM

Check out OnGuard, the app locking utility from the old TurboPower people:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tponguard/

Hook 'em Horns
2005 College Football National Champions
2005 College Baseball National Champions