Delphi Pages Forums  

Go Back   Delphi Pages Forums > Delphi Forum > General

Lost Password?

Old 12-04-2010, 03:13 PM

Default To MrBaseball34

I guess I feel I'm not "nuts." I was just trying to help. You didn't give an explanation why the dbNavigator is so bad. Would you please explain. I try to help here as much as I can with my limited knowledge so help me out please as I like learning new stuff. Thanks.

George
Old 12-05-2010, 03:12 PM

I still use the DBNavigator so do not take one person's opinion as law. By adding or removing buttons the Navigator can still be a very quick, easy and functional way of getting through a database visually.

My biggest gripe with the TDBNavigator is that you cannot move the focus from the database Field to do other stuff then return as the Navigator will automatically run the OnExit and OnScroll events and Cancel any current Edit or Insert. For that kind of application, I don't use the navigator but create my own buttons to control the navigation as in...

Code:
  // Button MyInsert-click
  DB1.Insert;

// Move focus and do some other stuff and the DB stays in Insert mode

// Button MyMakeGreen-click or whatever
  if DB1.State = dsInsert then // do something here

// Button MySave-click
  DB1.Post;

// Button MyFirst-click
  DB1.First;

// Button MyPrevious-click
  DB1.Prior;

// Button MyNext-click
  DB1.Next;
Enable and Disable buttons that you do not want clicked during the process. It is mor work but it gives much more precise control over what is going on.

Harry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DB1.JPG (12.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DB2.JPG (8.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by HarryCL2; 12-05-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:18 PM

Well, maybe I was a little harsh but the original question was to
Quote:
how to iterate through the selected items in a SMDBGrid and delete them
dbNavigator cannot be used to do this.

Yes, it is my opinion about dbNavigator but I guess it only goes to show that if you want an antiquated interface then using dbNavigator is ok.

Hook 'em Horns
2005 College Football National Champions
2005 College Baseball National Champions
Old 12-06-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBaseball34 View Post
Yes, it is my opinion about dbNavigator but I guess it only goes to show that if you want an antiquated interface then using dbNavigator is ok.
Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but your original statement was that DBNavigator went out with Delphi1. Not quite so, I regularly use D5 and a **lot** of versions after that and the DBNavigator still prevails. So, "antiquated" does not really describe it for me.

When you make a sweeping statement such as your earlier one and decry a component, it would be much more helpful to suggest a superior alternative. Also with that superior alternative, bear in mind that a lot of programmers cannot afford to buy a DBNavigator replacement. Therefore, any such superior item should be available free and open License.

This forum is about helping other programmers, not just slamming something and run.

Harry
Old 12-07-2010, 02:47 AM

HarryCL2,
I don't know who you think YOU are but let me tell you something, I have a SUPERB reputation here on this forum and before it changed over to this stupid vBulletin version I was THE top contributor so you don't have to tell me what this forum is about. Maybe you should do a little research on this forum to find out just who I am before condeming me, I don't hold the title Administrator for my good looks. It is not cool to piss off the Administrators ;-) Also, I've been helping George out since he first registered.

When I said dbNavigator went out with Delphi 1, what I intended, and you probably didn't realize it because you seem to be stuck in the dark ages UI-wise, was that using the dbNavigator in a user interface is antiquated because there are so much better ways to accomplish the same task. If you have an editable grid, there is absolutely no reason to have a dbNavigator and that is the direction that most UIs have taken since D2.

I guess by your reasoning, TNotebook is a perfect alternative for TPageControl as well? Regardless of it's inclusion in subsequent versions I stand by my comment that it is antiquated.

Hook 'em Horns
Old 12-07-2010, 03:24 AM

I have always appreciated your help over the years. THANKS. I just got knocked aside by your comment. Like I said I am willing to learn new things about Delphi since I still think it's the best app around. So, if there is a replacement for the navigator, I'm all ears. I haven't picked up what that is.

George
Old 12-07-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBaseball34 View Post
I don't know who you think YOU are but let me tell you something
Wow!!!

On that note I will bow out.

Harry
Old 12-07-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoWink View Post
I have always appreciated your help over the years. THANKS. I just got knocked aside by your comment. Like I said I am willing to learn new things about Delphi since I still think it's the best app around. So, if there is a replacement for the navigator, I'm all ears. I haven't picked up what that is.

George
I never really said there was a replacement for it, I was just noting that it is antiquated in today's style of UIs.

If you need it's functionality in your UI, go for it...

Hook 'em Horns