Delphi Pages Forums  

Go Back   Delphi Pages Forums > Delphi Forum > DB-Aware

Lost Password?

Old 07-01-2008, 01:22 PM

Default MrBaseball bidding goodbye...

Well, I got laid off from another Delphi job again on June 5th.

It is time I left the Delphi world and ventured into .Net because that is all that is available here in the Austin area. I have taken a position as a junior VB.Net developer and, hopefully, in about a year, I'll be making much more than my previous Delphi position with 13 years experience.
(Now, if you are in the Austin area and have a Delphi position open, feel free to contact me)

While I love Delphi, I am totally dismayed at the lack of commitment to the product by the former owners (Borland) and their total lack of marketing to keep this product afloat where it could have a viable life.

People on the Borland newsgroups say Delphi isn't dead, well, I beg to differ. As a Delphi developer, it seems like our skills are no longer in demand and that means going a different direction, one where the monetary rewards are there for the long haul. Although I am not a fan of .Net, to say the least, at least I will be preparing myself for greater rewards, if I can just get VS.Net2005 to quit crashing and using all my memory ;-)

Good Luck to all that plan on sticking it out. I may occasionally visit and answer but I am finished with Delphi professionally.

MrBaseball34
Hook'Em Horns!

2005 College Football National Champions
2005 College Baseball National Champions
Old 07-01-2008, 01:55 PM

Default RE: MrBaseball bidding goodbye...

I think we are in the same ship. I'm about to leave programming stuff to a much higher level. But I feel sad to Borland marketing polices. I've used a lot of those bad programming tools including C, COBOL, Clipper, FoxPro, PowerBuilder, five win tools, etc but never liked a language and tool like Delphi. However, I will keep watching and posting as long I'm a live. It is a promise from me and I always keep my promises.

Regards,
Abdulaziz Jasser
Old 07-01-2008, 02:07 PM

I am sad to see the Delphi community dissolving but I totally understand. I also have had to go other directions and although I still use Delphi for small things here and there, my work involves C++, .NET, Coldfusion, PHP, javascript, DHTML, etc. Thanks for all those that supported Delphi for as long as possible.

Douglas Tietjen
Delphi Pages Administrator :')
Old 07-01-2008, 02:12 PM

Aye, I have to agree whole heartedly with you. Since my developer job disappeared a year ago, I have been stuck as a network security engineer, without any hope of going back to what I love doing. We should all band together and kick Borland's arse into gear =)

Anyway, I would like to thank you for all of the time you spent answering questions and helping myself and many others become better programmers.

I wish you the best of luck, and hope to see you around the Delphipages realm.

-ouiji

[Link=http://www.ouiji.net/DelphiPages/] [/Link]
[q]"not quite smart enough to be dumb"[/q]
Old 07-01-2008, 02:54 PM

Douglas,

It is good to here your voice again However, Delphi still has a lot of surprises. I do not think Borland will die. It is another turn around to the right direction.

Regards,
Abdulaziz Jasser
Old 07-01-2008, 02:55 PM

Hi MrBaseball,

It is sad to see you leaving, I wish you good luck and best wishes in your new path.

I remember back in 2004 when I knew absolutely nothing of Delphi or programming at all, you were one of the very first people to help me!

It's not so bad for me as I work for myself developing Shareware and will be sticking with Delphi as long as possible.

It would be good to start learning a few other languages though. I know some PHP, Perl, Python and can get by with Assembly language to an extent but I could never love anything as much as I love Delphi!

Well my friend, I bid you farewell! Delphi Pages will certainly miss you.

Nester261

"Where there's a will, there's always a way."

-- The Hon Robert Nester Marley O.M. - aka Bob Marley!
Old 07-01-2008, 03:04 PM

<<Although I am not a fan of .Net, to say the least, at least I will be preparing myself for greater rewards, if I can just get VS.Net2005 to quit crashing and using all my memory ;-)>>

I like this one. SO TRUE

Regards,
Abdulaziz Jasser
Old 07-01-2008, 04:31 PM

We are currently using Delphi to develop a software program that will be selling for between $ 125,000 - $ 250,00 per site.

We also develop and sell software programs for the health-care industry that sell from $ 30,000- $ 90,000 per site.

We don't plan on stopping our use of Delphi. I'm hoping Code-Gears acquisition by Embarcadero Technologies will lead to bigger and better things.

http://www.embarcadero.com/news/pres..._codegear.html

I can understand if someone is not self-employed, that they are at a big disadvantage using Delphi. There are not adequate Delphi jobs out there. We'll continue to use it till it doesn't work. That doesn't mean we won't learn new languages, but Delphi will continue to be our bread and butter program.

As we grow I hope to hire additional Delphi programmers. We will continue to watch DelphiPages and see who might be available for contract work.

Donald Adams
Agent86
Old 07-02-2008, 02:21 PM

Hey at least you found a company that was willing to let you come in as a junior. I've done a shed load of dotNet training and still get beaten with the no-experience stick as apparently the 14 years of other often very very similar things don't count for anything. This place would make you sick.

I love Delphi but they're just no jobs no more no more
Old 08-13-2008, 05:33 PM

Well, this place has an electronic medical records package and I have experience in that realm. Understanding the terminology and domain is very helpful. Look for .Net jobs in the same field as the Delphi jobs you've had.

MrBaseball34
Hook'Em Horns!

2005 College Football National Champions
2005 College Baseball National Champions