Delphi Pages Forums  

Go Back   Delphi Pages Forums > Delphi Forum > DB-Aware

Lost Password?

Old 08-31-2009, 08:12 PM

Default How do save DB tables to disk.

Hi

Iv'e been working with databases and it's been quite a struggle for me since i had to learn everything from books. The books are great but they don't tell you everything.

i need to know how to save, the data that has been typed into the tables, onto my hard drive.

i have tried some things, but they either don't work at all, or the source of the " how to " is very badly written so there are bits missing in the command line.

so just some info :

i use delphi 7 ( its old but my school uses it... :< )

when i type in data, it stays there as long as i don't log off. so it looks like the data is just hanging around in my ram, and not being written onto the disk.

i also use the default delphi database (paradox 7 database) and table tool to create the database and tables.

i also use the dbnavigator along with dbedit boxes, so theres no funny conversions or inserts to get the data into the tables.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:13 PM

If you created the database then it must have been saved somewhere. Did you forget the location? It has a name so search for it. Do you really want to be using Paradox? It is antiquated and the BDE isn't supported and there are better ways to go.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:32 PM

okay firstly, its not that i don't know where my database is saved, the problem is to get the data to stay in it after i turn of my pc.

and the reason why i use paradox is because the text books i used all told me to make the database with paradox, i know its rubbish to use it now after all my reading and searching around, but i all ready built my entire program with that, so i don't want to go change it to what ever else would be best, since i would basicly re-do everything, and i don't have the time to re-do it either.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:06 PM

You can do forced commits (just call Database.Commit(), but how is database storage managed at this point?
From way back, commitretaining was an option...
Old 09-02-2009, 04:36 PM

Im just using the default DBnavigator at the moment to manage the data, ill give the db.commit() way a try solong.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:06 AM

I know you're using the DBNavigator, but it's linked to a TDatabase (or so) component... And this component has a property that tells what to do with changes (immediate commit and so)... It's definitely not a property of the TDBNavigator...
Old 09-24-2009, 06:00 PM

Assuming that your TDBNavigator component is connent to a TDatasource component, make sure the the TDatasource 'Action' property is set to 'True'.

Rob.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:53 PM

I wonder if you are using Vista ?

If yes - and the database file is under program files it will not be able
to write, I think it goes to a virtual folder.

If Vista, you can test this by right clicking on your application and choose
"Run as Administrator"

Under XP there is no reason why this would not write to the table unless
there is a power out etc.