Delphi Pages Forums  

Go Back   Delphi Pages Forums > Delphi Forum > DB Tools

Lost Password?

Old 05-25-2018, 09:33 AM

Default mariadb-10.3.7-win32 on Delphi 7 win 7

I'm running Delphi 7 with sqlconnection
On windows 7 and mariadb-10.3.7-win32 installed
mariadb with the deflault install
mariadb comes with Heidi OBDC editor and works well with root name and password as a local database.

a) Do I set up the OBDC to present the mariadb?
b) why can't Delphi see its own dbexpmysql.dll file?
Old 05-25-2018, 12:44 PM

According to this question I guess you're not experienced with database programming.
When you're learning this, why did you choose mariadb? It's an unusual choice to start with, since it's a MySQL fork (linux).
Newer Delphi versions have better support, but for Delphi 7 has not. You could try something as ZEOS, but it's not as straight forward as you might think. And as for that I would suggest a windows based database to start with.

And an upgrade of both delphi and your os would help a lot. Both are end of life, have no support what so ever. What happens if you finish your project and want to distribute to a win10 os?
And delphi 7, sorry, good for learning the basics, but if you want to create a real project (in this case database) it's a real no go
Old 05-27-2018, 12:05 AM

Yes I'm not famlia with OBDC databases at all.
Running ADO from MS Access on office is so easy but the end user needs to have office to use it.
Marina is the only database directly suporting the 32 bit OBDC, that is why I made this choice.

ZEOS, is about the delphi connection to the OBDC
Delphi has a dbexpmysql.dll insalled but you need a new version for every database version that is out thier.
Marina comes Heidi editor but I domnot think it uses the OBDC at all!!!!!

so where do I start
Old 05-28-2018, 09:05 AM

What I meant was that Marina is harder to implement than other databases.
Why are you so stuck on ODBC? It could also be any connection, or for that matter any database. I still not understand your question, since you have in your mind that a database can only be accessed using ODBC. I doubt that Marina is the only database that supports 32 bit ODBC, but that's a side-note.

And ZEOS is not about the connection to the ODBC, it's about the connection to a database, using a connectionstring. That connectionstring could be ODBC based, but could also be a native connectionstring (if your db supports it).
Questions about the dbexpmysql.dll I cannot answer, never connected to MySQL databases this way. But switching to a windows based database would also solve this, since it doesn't need this dll.

As for your remark on MS Access. Your end user only needs the correct drivers to work with it. Your application is what the end user uses, so I'm not sure why you think the end user needs office to use this.

Normally for a Delphi developer I would've thought that you would've used some Firebird (or how that's called) solution. At least that's what Delphi shipped for ages.
But you could also use MSSQL Express with the ADO components. That would normally be my preferred combination. There's also SQLite which is very easy to implement, and for small single user databases also a very good alternative.

But back to your "end user", as mentioned previous you cannot develop any commercial products on a Windows 7 computer with Delphi 7 without running into big problems eventually!
Old 05-29-2018, 02:32 AM

Ok I get away from OBDC for once and use a connection string
Delphi 7 does not have firebird that I read all about
I have DB Express, Interbase, ADO that works so easy on MS Office, DBE that the writes ups on Delphi 4 was bad, data snap I have never used or understood yet.

I understand a connectionstring with name and password............... and even file name.
Now what windows 7 install gives database gives me 32 bit support with a connection string?

Tags
delphi 7