Delphi Pages Forums  

Go Back   Delphi Pages Forums > Delphi Forum > General

Lost Password?

Old 06-12-2018, 08:56 AM

Default Close calling form.

I see this has been asked a few times on other forums but non have given me a solution I would like to use.

I have a login screen. Once the user has logged in with valid details, I want to permanently close the login page and go to the main page.

It was suggested to hide the login page, well it does that very well. The form remains open but not visible. Not even the task manager listed it as running, but I got an error on recompile saying could not create EXE as if it was still running. Had to do a reboot.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:45 PM

Since it's probably the first form you create it's seen as the MainForm.
And that's not what it is, it's a helper form. Hiding it is useless, and closing the main page will not close the application, since the MainForm is still running.
Try implementing it as if it was a FileOpenDialog (or whatever). Don't create the form unless you need it. And don't keep it open and hidden, it has no purpose anymore so it should be closed.

And for your information, instead of a reboot you could've easily ended the process in the Task Manager, saves you some time
Old 06-12-2018, 05:09 PM

try implementing a log in page as detailed here.

https://www.thoughtco.com/display-a-...dialog-1058469
Old 06-12-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrit View Post
And for your information, instead of a reboot you could've easily ended the process in the Task Manager, saves you some time
The task manager did not list the program. Not even listed in running tasks. I tried to delete the exe and the message was, file in use.

Guess just another bug with Delphi 10.1 and some memory leaks or something like that. Also Run reset is greyed out in the IDE. Delphi 6 is looking better and better !!!

What I want is a login in screen and this is the first thing a user sees. Once logged in the Main form then displays what they can or cant see.

Guess I could put this on the main form and hide everything until they have logged in and then update the view.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojam View Post
try implementing a log in page as detailed here.

https://www.thoughtco.com/display-a-...dialog-1058469

Thanks Excellent reply. Just what I wanted.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Guess just another bug with Delphi 10.1 and some memory leaks or something like that. Also Run reset is greyed out in the IDE. Delphi 6 is looking better and better !!!
And you think this wouldn't happen in Delphi 6? Please, don't make the mistake on going back to Delphi 6...
Old 06-13-2018, 10:59 AM

Ok I found out that the Grey out is caused by not running in Debug mode. I customized the screen and lost the debug option. Now fixed.

Still the app was hidden and still running so that was a cause for concern.

Delphi 6 loads quicker, comes on a CD (not 6 GB) and so far never found a bug. On the other hand I do complex solutions to problems with simple code.

Only real reason to go to 10 is if I want to develop for multiple OS.

I'm really only doing interfaces with SQL and serial ports.

10 has just got too much stuff.

Thanks for the help.