Delphi Pages Forums  

Go Back   Delphi Pages Forums > Delphi Forum > General

Lost Password?

Old 03-27-2001, 09:15 PM

Default What is better - Visual Basic or Delphi - Why ?

I have been programming in Delphi for some time and have never really touched on Visual Basic. I know there is alot of employment in Visual Basic. Could someone please tell me the main differences and why one may be better than the other. There seems to be alot more support for Delphi.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2001, 09:39 PM

Default RE: What is better - Visual Basic or Delphi - Why ?

Hi,I am a guy who loves Delphi.I've talked to some Delphi developers about this question and what they have told me is:
Delphi is oriented object;I don't know if VB is.
Delphi's compiler is better then VB's compile.In VB you can compile a software with some bug and the compiler doesn't show you(Delphi doesn't let you compile).When you put your software in your client computer,the problems show up;
Now you will be able to make programs for Linux with Kylix;You can't do it with VB.
Using VB you will have to send some other files with your exe.Delphi put everything together,the exe is bigger but you don't have to worry with what file should I have brought?
I don't change delphi for VB.I don't know if there are others features because I don't even like to talk about it.

I am from Brazil,country where almost everybody is moving to Delphi and there they use it a lot.Now I am living in the United States and here you almost don't hear about Delphi.Everything is VB or C++ or Java.I've been looking for some courses in colleges or other places and I haven't found many things.
Well bad luck for them.They don't know what is better.

Regards,
Eduardo Tavares
www.tavareswebsite.cjb.net
Old 03-27-2001, 10:08 PM

Default RE: RE: What is better - Visual Basic or Delphi - Why ?

Eduardo

My remarks on not hearing about Delphi in the U.S.

I suppose it depends on what area you are in. I am from Idaho, USA, and I attended a small college and we had Delphi programming classes. Most of my programming is Delphi, and most people that I run into that are developers develop with Delphi. Some of the big companies in Utah come to our college and search for Delphi developers. We have a Delphi User Group that meets every first Tuesday of each month.

Talking about Visual Basic compared to Delphi -- I used to develop with Visual Basic 5. I became very tired of the installation crashing on clients machines, it never seemed that stable to me. I loved the single .exe Delphi programs. The coolest thing though is that I have all power in Delphi, I can program in assembly, include c++ headers, use all the WinAPI. It just gives you so much more flexibility. Delphi Pascal is structured in a way that you can program intensive programs like game engines, etc. Visual Basic would have a hard time becoming a 3D game engine. This is just my two bits, have fun!
Old 03-27-2001, 11:22 PM

Default my opinion

- first : Delphi objects support heritage this means you can re-use your objects. VB doesn't.
- second : deploying your app is much better when you have a stand-alone exe, dll, or whatever : this is what you get when you compile with delphi. deploying VB apps is the opposite : you have to deploy all dependent libraries with it.
- third : all API calls are as flexible as C++ in Delphi. this is limited in VB.
- fourth : Delphi is database oriented -> you can make a client-server mid-tier database app in a couple of clicks. with VB, client-server and mid-tier apps are not well implemented.
- fifth : i like pascal rather than basic

there are many more resons, but these are in my opinion the most important
Old 03-28-2001, 10:21 AM

Default RE: RE: RE: What is better - Visual Basic or Delphi - Why ?

Hi Douglas,can you give more information about this college?
IF its possible send me an email eduardo@tavareswebsite.cjb.net.
Where is this city?Sorry,because I don't know many places here in the USA and I wanna know.

Regards,
Eduardo Tavares
Old 03-28-2001, 09:42 PM

Default Delphi programmers and delphi study.

Eduardo, I attended Ricks College, which is soon to become a university "Brigham Young University - Idaho". It is changing a lot of its scedule and classes, so it could be different soon. http://www.byu.edu

Boise, Idaho is the city that holds the Delphi User Group, and I know of Delphi developers in Rexburg, Idaho Falls, and Boise. Salt Lake City, Utah has a lot of positions for Delphi developers. It really depends on what you are looking for. If you just want to learn Delphi, many training classes are available. If you want a Delphi job, then it depends on where you want to live. Most jobs that I see on the Internet are in the bigger cities. I personally like the smaller towns and therefore live in a smaller town. Usually you get paid less in smaller cities, but the cost of living is less also and so it all works out fine.

Where are you currently living? Maybe you mentioned, but mention it again. What are you looking for specifically?
Old 03-28-2001, 10:48 PM

Default RE: Delphi programmers and delphi study.

Hi Douglas!
I live in Thousand Oaks California and it doesn't matter if it's a small or big city.I just wanna learn and work with delphi.
I already have some knowledge in delphi, but you know,we are always learning more and more about this language.

Regards,
Eduardo Tavares
Old 03-29-2001, 11:38 AM

Default RE: What is better - Visual Basic or Delphi - Why ?

I have used both VB and Delphi .... and since I came from the world of DOS, I (had) an aversion to Windows based anything, but now that I've been in the Windows world for a while...
I completely agree that Delphi is a better tool than VB because:

Delphi Pros:
- Single .exe (usually) installation.
- 99% of add-on products are written in Delphi, so they become an inherent part of your .exe.
- Supports C++, ASM directly
- Incredibly fast compiler.
- True object orientation
- Extensive database functionality built-in plus endless 3rd party database products.
- Excellent debugger and variable tracing and inspection

Delphi Cons:
- SLOW code completion dropdowns
- cannot see current screen while stopped in debug mode
- Can't think of any more...

VB Pros:
- FAST code completion dropdowns
- can see the current screen while in debug mode
- Ummm...I'm thinking...Oh..I thought of one...oh wait, no.

VB Cons:
- Extensive version control problems. You pretty much need to know every target Windows environment for installation.
- Lotz of extra files necessary .. .vbx, .ocx, .dll, .???
- Slow compiler
- POOR built-in database functionality
- Cheap looking and poorly designed components (grid for example)
- psudo-object orientation
- slim 3rd party product selections

I could continue, but what's the point? :-)

Scottg